24 May 2014

On Why I Don't Go to Comic Book Movies Anymore


I go to movies (and consequently write about them) because I like movies. I try to like the movies I go to see: to take them on their own terms, meet them in the world they create. People that go to movies presumably to identify everything wrong with them (ie, CinemaSins, Screen Junkies, etc) really bug me. A lot. They are fun-sucking parasites who mistake fault-finding or cheap parody for critical analysis. I like that we have temples of entertainment to which we can journey and forget our troubles temporarily in the smell of popcorn and the hum of projector wheels. And I like that, sometimes, special things can happen there.

But, unlike most or possibly all of you, I don't like comic book movies.

Normally a thing like this wouldn't bother me: difference is the spice that makes film great. When people like a movie that I don't, I'm glad that they enjoyed it, because for all the work that went into it, somebody ought to. But I feel that, in the spirit of letting you enjoy the movies you will, I should say something. Obviously this is opening a can of potentially angry fanboy worms, but know that I'll love you no matter your life choices.

First, I concede that such a categorical ban of such a broad genre is pretty narrow-minded and possibly unfounded of me. I feel (and based on the many comic book movies I have seen have concluded) that basically, a comic series does not, and cannot, a good movie make. Fanboys will claim that comics give us unique opportunities to explore important contemporary themes along with timeless motifs, that they are a window into us. They do, and are, but their prolonged (and often interminable) episodic structure cannot be made into effective, original cinema, the very form of which is bound by tight time constraints and often years of work per single offering. Comics work on their own because they are more like television shows, offering small chunks of story minced out on a weekly basis. Movies in a series come at most once a year, and therefore cannot have the same kind of structure. The resulting attempts have yielded a lucrative but lame formula which has become something of an addiction to both studios and audiences, one that values the next movie more than the one currently being shown. What fanboys forget is that movies of any genre offer us a glimpse into ourselves. That's why we make them in the first place.

But my complaint is not that movies like these exist, or even necessarily that they are popularly enjoyed. What I see is an artificial behemoth that is damaging the art that gave it life (such a great comicky theme!) and whose disease is spreading. The great comic houses of DC and Marvel are running an arms-escalation race similar to the one they both lost in the 90s when people people realized it wasn't the 50s anymore and stopped buying comics, causing their bankruptcy. The film medium has now provided them a renaissance with exponentially higher cost but much less product to produce. The result is a reliable but generally unchanging palette of movies on accelerated production timetables. Each is enormously expensive, and while each has also so far paid its own bills, one wonders for how long a brand of movies with near-identical dramatic arcs can be profitable.

The answer, you say, is forever, because we only tell a handful of stories to ourselves in the first place. Is there anything in Captain America different from Errol Flynn or Star Wars? Essentially, no. A hero's journey is a hero's journey, a romance is a romance, and a tragedy is a tragedy. Part of my grief comes not from content for its own sake, but from the amount of fanboy control exercised thereon, at the expense of quality. This begins as early as the writing room with screenwriters who were weaned on Superman and The Hulk creating indulgent fan fiction at the behest of controlling studio heads. They are not free, even if they would, to stray even experimentally with the adopted canon, else vengeful fanboy crucifixion and shameless studio eviction are inevitable. (Remember the fallout from Superman killing in Man of Steel? Or, just this week, Marvel's and Edgar Wright's divorce after he worked on Ant-Man for 8 years?) Thus the rest of us are presented with formulaic summaries of hallowed storylines in which no meaningful surprise is hidden and no real depth is or can be plumbed. The nuance that might be present in a comic series lasting years is sanded off in order to present a sleek, boring replica.

But what, you say, of Ironman 3? Wasn't the Mandarin's character twist a brilliant attempt at freshening up the property, of breaking with the establishment? I say, no, not really. It was more an example of world-building in place of story telling, of again waiting to show off the "real story" yet to come just before Robert Downey Jr's contract is up. Like much of what these movies do, it only works at a self-conscious level at best, something only hardcore fanboys will appreciate because they know how it used to be different. The rest of us are left with unsatisfying narrative arcs glossed over too quickly to be meaningful. They are films made to go through the motions, like playing Super Mario World even though you have it memorized, and we are left to be the younger sibling watching over the shoulders of the player.

I concede perhaps over-generalization, but ask yourself: what are the real stakes in a comic movie? Is the outcome ever uncertain even a little bit? You didn't really think Spider-Man would die, did you? That maybe he wouldn't come out on top, or that a baddie might get away? If Christopher Freaking Nolan's Dark Knight can't actually die, who would entertain even momentarily that Thor or Wolverine or Ironman would? Take the example of Captain America, whose entire purpose was to prepare the way for The Avengers. Of course poor Steve-o's sacrifice can't be consummated, because he has to appear in the Real Movie for which he has been giving us a 2-hour preview. I guess what bothers me about these movies, about paying money to experience the same archetypical story I would get in pretty much any other movie, is that given the "mythology" each brings with it, there can be no real originality or dramatic vitality.

Again, if the problem were self-contained I wouldn't bother, but it is spreading. Outside of comic book land we have something like Star Trek Into Darkness. (Perhaps not the best example since I have already maligned it elsewhere.) When Kirk is "dying" you know he won't: not because his hero's journey and therefore the story is incomplete, not because he must yet pass through fire and ice and come out better and blah blah blah, but because Paramount has a franchise to maintain. At least the first time around they had the nerve to actually kill Spock (albeit temporarily). It is one of any number of growing examples of starry-eyed fanboy writers breaking the rules of their story for the sake of a) doctrinal soundness and b) the profit-hungry studio machine. For this reason I am exceedingly apprehensive of the forthcoming Star Wars movies, or that there will be a 2 and 3 of Godzilla, and indeed why I have almost given up on the non-comic breed of franchise altogether.

So, while you are all enjoying X-Men in the Past Right Now, I'll be sitting at home writing angry blog rants because there are exactly three (!) comic movies playing right now, all with the same comic house father but with three separate and vengeful studio mothers, tying up screen space that might have gone to somebody's unique, risky, but probably rewarding original idea. Or at least to a broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera.

Am I being too obnoxious about a problem over which I have no control? Or do you find yourself wanting to join the boycott? Let me know how you feel, and when it comes out I'll look at Edge of Tomorrow, which at least looks like it shouldn't have a sequel.


3 comments:

  1. *Apparently this is too long for one post:
    PART I:

    I love reading your reactions to movies, but also I hope you do pepper in some more opinion pieces like this. It sure is a treat. This one really got me thinking. Thinking, and reevaluating my standards and views of film and entertainment; that I may actually be giving this Marvel choo-choo train too much credit.

    That's because I do enjoy comic book movies sometimes. I've enjoyed a lot of what Marvel has served out in the past couple of years. I appreciate what Marvel is going for, if they, as a company, do have an artistic goal in mind aside from cashing in harcore.

    I actually just looked through my movie collection to see what Comic-book movies I owned. I have 6 in total, which is a ratio in the ballpark of 1:40 or so. I have 3 Batmans (The Adam West one, Batman Begins, and Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker[a cartoon[), The Incredibles (which could be argued is not part of the party under fire in this conversation), and the first two X-Men movies. That makes me feel a bit better about my standards. But, enough back-patting for me.

    I general, I feel your argument is the most clear I've read in refute of the Comic-movie marriage of this decade. Comic-movies have been around for a long time, but this is the most consistent and persistent wave of them to date - that seems pretty clear to me. When I talk about your argument in general, I'm talking about your main conceit reached at the end. This being that the narrative and story direction and artistry are in doubt here given the nature of the world building going on over the stretch of sequels and tie-ins. This seems a sincere and direct question to apply critically to the Comic-movie genre. While some of your opinion piece here may be the frustrated musings of a true disciple of film (by all means, preach, brother), I'd say this is one point that's the most objectively critical in the artistic sense - and I appreciate it.

    I think it's generally assumed after one has had enough exposure the world that there really is nothing new under the sun, in the deepest sense. I think the "originality" and surprise we experience in life is really just a retelling of the same stuff in a different language, so to speak. It's using different materials to make essentially the same thing. It's like taking an old jazz standard and playing it as New Wave (please don't do that).

    Take an artist like Claude Monet for example. He painted mostly landscapes. That's nothing new, but the way he painted was different. We can get a flood of nostalgia from a picture of a particular area of land that holds memories specifically for us. It can remind us of how we felt about that landscape, but with Monet, that nostalgia and memory come built in. You can have a similar rush of feeling from a collection of brush strokes of different colors arranged in a particular way that you could from a personal photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PART II:

    So, while in the world building that Comic-movies do they draw themselves into a corner creatively, I think there's originality happening somewhere in those movies - especially Marvel.

    The originality is happening not in the way the movies are made - the stories, the writing, the casting, the cinematography, etc. - but in the TONE. Marvel created a world of a consistent tone. Each movie almost revels in the absurdness of it's content, and it's blast. It's something that movie makers seem to have not been able to do with comic/movies in the past 20 years. The days of Adam West are long gone, and the Marvel conglomerate seem to be bringing it back, and it's a breath of fresh air.

    It's naive not to see the greediness behind box-office contenders, but one has to believe there are passionate and sincere people who love the craft working within the system - doing what they can - to produce some honest work. These achievements stick out to me in some Marvel movies, but I totally can see that it's near impossible to spot the silver lining in this bloodbath of Comic-movie gladiator battle. Most companies seem plain confused as how to approach the genre.

    Superheroes started as a retelling of heroes in the classical sense, did they not? Someone seemingly human, but larger than life. Someone who has risen above and beyond our murky limbo of humanity to act as a guiding light. They aren't designed to be flawed like us or even worry about things we worry about. Some of critics' beef with the latest Captain America movie is that the character of Cpt. America is uninteresting because he doesn't really have any regular flaws. He's TOO good. Conflicted, internally tortured, and morally ambiguous characters can be and are more often a lot more interesting (we can talk about the Lannisters from Game of Thrones another time), but on their own merits. I think this jaded generation is looking again for those classical heroes of the ages to romanticize of. The superhero world has essentially been having an endless orgasm from the days of Alan Moore and Frank Miller, and it's sad to see so many others trying to bank off of what Marvel is trying to do (seriously, Star Wars?).

    I also think there is artistry happening within the clockwork in works such as Iron Man 3. I've heard complaints that it was TOO crazy, out there, and goofy. It definitely is, and anyone who is familiar with some of Shane Black's other work can easily understand why. The way the movie impressed me was that it was less of an story arc, but more of a character study of sorts. The bombastic nature of the movie was reflective of not only Tony Stark's personality, but of his current psychological state. In the movie he's made a small garrison of Iron Man suits impulsively and obsessively, and at the end, they all fall apart. Anybody have heavy anxiety times like me? That a pretty great artistic interpretation of the feeling.

    Anywho, those are thoughts of mine. Again, I actually do stand behind your opinion in a way, I just want to give credit where I feel credit is due. I just like the world building that Marvel is doing, even though it is most likely just a shallow business move. I feel your frustration is justified, so by all means, carry on. Wellsir, what a great article, I wasn't expecting to write this much. Thanks, Chase.

    Love,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your less cynical perspective Riley. I don't judge you for your comic movies, although I would also say that none of yours fall under my embargo since they are either made for children, before the mania, or, as the Incredibles, as an original piece of work designed from the outset to be a movie. "Unbreakable" would also fall under this category.

    A general caveat for everybody is that I also do not include films adapted from graphic novels in my boycott. I think these, because of their length and visual element, can produce great material for movies, provided they aren't dependent on decades of mythology to be complete (ie "Watchmen," "Hellboy," "Scott Pilgrim vs the World," etc.) So there.

    ReplyDelete